What happens at an Annual Hearing Aid Check?
While almost all our patients come twice yearly for routine appointments to maintain optimal performance of their hearing aids, the bare minimum is one annual appointment.
This annual appointment is absolutely necessary to ensure that your hearing aids are functioning correctly, are programmed properly, and to monitor your hearing loss.
• When you first come in, you’ll be asked to fill out a questionnaire going over medical history updates and if there are any concerns with the fit and performance of your hearing aids.
• While you’re filling out your questionnaire, your hearing aids will be thoroughly cleaned and put through our Redux system.
• You’ll then meet with one of our Doctors of Audiology for a hearing evaluation to measure any changes in your hearing and update your hearing aid programming prescription.
• An electroacoustic analysis of your hearing aids will be completed to verify they are working like they did when they were brand new. If they are malfunctioning and an in-office repair doesn’t resolve the issue, we will send the aids to the manufacturer for repair and program loaner hearing aids as needed.
• Once we know your hearing aids are working like new, real ear measurements will be completed to verify that your hearing aids are set to the correct targets for soft, medium, and loud sounds based on your demographics and updated hearing thresholds.
• Lastly, your hearing aids will be put in our hearing instrument test box to measure the output of the devices at your settings for future reference.
What if I think I’m not hearing as well as I used to with my hearing aids?
After everything else is completed, if your hearing has changed significantly or you feel that you’re not hearing as well as you were, we may also test your hearing ability in noise while wearing your hearing aids.
If your scores are significantly lower than they used to be or your effort is much higher, we may suggest an assistive listening device, such as a remote microphone or updated hearing technology.
We will then retest your hearing ability in noise with the recommended assistive device to verify improvement before you invest in the technology.
After your appointment, you’ll leave feeling confident that your hearing aids are functioning optimally for your specific individual needs.
If you would like to schedule an annual hearing aid check, please call us at 256-319-4327 or submit a contact request, and we will reach you at our earliest availability.